Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Yes, another food recall

Everyone check the dates on your beef. Again. What's going on here? Were there this much hysteria about the safety of food 20 years ago? Are we really getting that much sicker, or are we just more aware of what causes our malaise to the point of paranoia?

To be totally accurate, as long as you cook your food to the proper temp, 160 degrees for beef, you won't get sick, regardless of the amount of E coli. But, Tyson and Wal-mart are advising that everyone who recently purchased ground beef hasten to return it.

All of the recalled beef will have sell by dates of June 13th, and includes the following prepackaged trays:

  • 1½-pound trays of Angus steak burger all natural, 85/15, 6¼-pound patties;
  • 1.33-pound trays of Angus steak burger all natural, 85/15, extra thick, 4 1/3-pound patties;
  • 2¼-pound trays of 73/27 all-natural ground beef; and
  • 5½-pound trays of 73/27 all-natural ground beef.

  • My ground beef in the fridge has a sell by date of June 12th. I'm a little leery. Will I be returning it? No, because I refuse to join into the paranoia, and because I cook my meat thoroughly. Now I just need to figure out how to stick a meat thermometer in a small piece of cooked crumbled ground beef.

    No comments: