Friday, June 8, 2007

The first entree - not my best



For my first entry I was hoping to have something a little fancier, perhaps my special Chicken Dianne. That will come soon enough, though. This was a quick fix, with what I could scrounge from my fridge.

Dim Sum Chicken Stir Fry



Here's what you need:

About 3 chicken breasts

2-3 Tbsp butter

bag of frozen stir fry veggies (or use a fresh variety if you have if enough on hand)

Dim Sum sauce (or any Asian sauce you life. A simple stir fry sauce is fine, but it's a little heavy and I wanted something light. If you're daring, make your own sauce. I'll give you an example someday.)

1 cup Long-Grain rice

Cook the rice according to directions. Be sure to cover the saucepan properly. Since rice tends to need a steaming effect, you don't want all that hot air and evaporated waterto escape.

Cut up the chicken into bite size pieces, using a sharp knife, like a good Chef's knife. Alternatively, use a pair of kitchen shears. While doing this, make sure to cut off all the visible fat.

In a medium to large skillet (nonstick) brown the chicken in the butter, seasoning with anything you life - I used both salt and garlic salt, and pepper. Add the frozen veggies, and about 1/2-3/4 cup of the sauce - enough to cover the bottom of the skillet well, and to ensure that your veggies have enough liquid to soak up some flavor. Add more later if the skillet gets too dry.

Stir-Fry this sufficiently, as long as it takes for your veggies to heat thoroughly - usually about 7-10 minutes. If you use fresh veggies, you'll want to adjust cooking time according to how crispy or wilted you want them to be.

When the rice is done, add a little of the stir-fry sauce to it, giving it some flavor. Or, just add extra to the chicken mixture and mix the rice in.

I served this with come spring rolls, and the leftover stir-fry sauce that I didn't use.

No comments: