Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Time to pay homage

...to my new favorite food blog. I tried the recipe below last night, and it was flavor-FULL! The full recipe, along with demonstration images all over the place, is listed at thepioneerwomancooks.com. Ree serves it to her man on a bun, but I didn't have any, so I served it straight. I was about to fix some rice or potatoes to go with it, but my hubby smelled bacon and said "can I have eggs with that?" Good thing, too, because I was filled up by half a chicken breast, and those few pieces of bacon I ate while they cooked. I wish I had more readers at this point, so I could pass this one on to more people. Without further ado, here's the fixins:

Boneless, skinless chicken breats
Lemon-Pepper Seasoning
Peppered bacon
Sliced cheese
Sandwich buns (if desired)

Cut the package of peppered bacon in half and arrange enough pieces in your skillet to cover the bottom. Fry over low-medium heat until chewy, and place on paper towels to drain some grease off. At this point, you and your family have eaten half the bacon, so you might as well keep frying the rest of it. Pour off the grease into a container, and be sure to reserve a spoonful or two for your chicken. (See my post from last week about how to render bacon fat for later use.)

While the bacon is sizzling, rinse and dry your chickens, and put them (one at a time) between 2 sheets of wax paper or Saran wrap. Pound at will with your handy meat mallet, rolling pin, or heavy can (this is always the favorite part for a frustrated housewife), until the chicken is a uniform thickness all over.

Season your chicken well with the lemon-pepper. Don't be afraid to really pour it on. I used it as a rub, so it really absorbed that flavor on one side, and lightly seasoned the other side. But if you don't like the tiny bit of heat that the pepper causes, go easier on the seasoning and don't rub it in.

Place that spoonful of bacon fat that you reserved into the skillet and place your chicken in it. Fry for 4 minutes on one side and flip it.

Place as many bacon strips as you want on the chicken and top with cheese. Cover the skillet and cook until the cheese is melted.

Serve as desired, on a bun or with a twice-baked potato. Or with eggs. Or alone.

No comments: