Friday, June 22, 2007

No Bake (except the crust) Key Lime Pie

What's better in the middle of summer than Key Lime Pie? Ok, maybe a few things, like fresh strawberry TALLcake. I'll get to that one another time. But something creamy and citrusy would be perfect too. This recipe is from America's Test Kitchen, my favorite program on PBS.

A quick plug for them before I start the makings of this delicious dessert: I LOVE the people at America's Test Kitchen. Chris Kimball is a culinary master who really knows his stuff, anything from basic homestyle dinners to grilling and gourmet delicacies. He and his staff combine their efforts to show America what the best brands are, the best procedures, and how to get the best equipment for a low investment cost. They even explain why. I would trust them with design and stocking of my entire kitchen if I could.

ANYWAY, here it is. The No Bake Key Lime Pie. If you really wated it to be totally no bake, you could opt for a pre-made crust. But I like to say that I did it all, with as little help as possible from Wal-Mart. Oh, and make sure you use the no-cook pudding.

Icebox Key Lime Pie

For the Crust:
8 whole graham crackers , broken into smaller pieces
2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted

Filling:
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated lime zest
8 ounces cream cheese , softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
1 1/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1 cup fresh lime juice from 6 to 8 limes
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the crust: Pulse crackers and sugar in food processor until finely ground. Add melted butter in steady stream while pulsing until crumbs resemble damp sand. Using bottom of dry measuring cup, press crumbs firmly into bottom and sides of 9-inch pie plate. Bake until fragrant and browned around edges, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool completely.

For the filling: Process sugar and zest in food processor until sugar turns bright green, about 30 seconds. Add cream cheese and process until combined, about 30 seconds. Add condensed milk and pudding mix and process until smooth, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl. Stir gelatin and 2 tablespoons lime juice in small bowl. Heat in microwave for 15 seconds; stir until dissolved. With machine running, pour gelatin mixture, remaining lime juice, and vanilla through feed tube and mix until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.

Pour filling into cooled crust, cover with plastic, and refrigerate at least 3 hours or up to 2 days. To serve, let pie sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing

3 comments:

Kari said...

Ooh...I am glad you posted this. I tasted a miserable flop variation of this recipe this week. Oh, I should not be so rude. It just was not good. period. I will be glad to try this one some time this week. I subscribe to ATK online, I am so thrilled that someone else loves Chris K. the nerdy food guys as much as I do. It cracks me up that I can get all excited about reading any of their articles or introductions to recipes in their cook books. I read one today on maple syrup. I feel smarter for it! See you soon, and I would love to taste some of your creations.

yang said...

is the pudding mix ... the powder before mixed, or just mix after it's mixed?

Anonymous said...

The temp for the crust is 350 deg.
by the way.

I'm glad you had the amt. for the
pudding mix. The show never said.

Good job on the format to the recipe. Nice layout.

B.T.