Saturday, June 23, 2007

coffee cake

This morning was a happy morning. As my husband left for work at the Post Office, Soren ran into my room as the baby and I lay sleeping. He said "wake up, mama" and gave me a hug and kissed me smack on the lips. So I figure, with such a sweet awakening, I should have something suitable for breakfast. So, coffee cake:

2 cups Bisquick
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup water or milk

a pinch of each: cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves (you really could omit these, but I like the memories of Christmas with my family that these flavors bring to mind. )

Mix all ingredients. Sprinkle this over the top:

Topping
1/3 cup Bisquick
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, firm

Mix until crumbly. I did this in my tiny food processor. Be sure not to blend too much, if you it my way, or you'll end up with more of a paste. Don't fret if this happens, though. Just add equal amounts of Bisquick and brown sugar (it won't tak much, 1/8 cup each at the most) and pulse the food processor again.

Bake in a greased 9-inch round pan at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes.

EDIT: Ok, so I'll definitely be doing some variations on this. It's pretty basic. It's a good start, but it need something swirled in the middle of the cake, and the top should have some goo about it. I'll update this on maybe next weekend, but in the meantime, go ahead and play with the base recipe if you want. Tell me if you come up with something good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mmmmm....sounds good to me. I may be a bit partial to anything with "coffee" in the name though. Seriously, I love coffee cake. I have never attempted it myself, but I am might have to try it. I will await your amended recipe.